Saturday, March 6, 2010

Becoming a Regular!

Here's a quick run down of my past couple of days:

The good:

+ Hung out with some of the other Wisconsinites on the program, breaking my last couple of days of wandering the streets of Lima unaccompanied.
+ Went back to a restaurant (Manolo) where the waitress (Marina) recognized me and was very happy to see me.
+ I'm getting really good at taking the combis (buses)
+ Went to Parque del amor (Love Park) today, where people get together with their loved ones and snog in public.
+ Had a very bilingual day, but it was good because I moved fluently between Spanish and English, no stuttering or anything. I guess if I'm going to speak English, it might as well be to the benefit of being able to manage both languages almost simultaneously.
+ Stopped another cab driver from ripping me off. Thieves.

The bad:
- While walking to Parque del amor, a shoe-cleaning man literally threw himself at my feet and cleaned my (albeit dirty) white shoes. Then he charged me 12.50 soles for it (about $4.50). Although I told him not to, he insisted I pay him. Though I knew I could've won the argument, I figured $4.50 to me is nothing, but to him it could mean a lot, so I just gave it to him and moved on. However, the next time it happens, I'll probably refuse.
- Although it was cooler today, it was very humid on the Pacific Coast. Let's hope that's not common.

I hope to upload pictures soon!

1 comment:

  1. Those damn shoe-cleaners!

    Please take pictures of the food you eat for me!!

    Can't wait to read more - xoxo

    ReplyDelete