Sunday, June 20, 2010

ONE MORE WEEK (get ready for a whole bunch of insecure)

Hey everyone! Happy Father's Day!

So I know I have a journal for this, but I felt like I would give you all an update about where I am at this point in my study abroad experience.

I've been in Peru for a little more than 3.5 months and have been in class for about 3 of those months. Once the semester is over, many of the friends that I've made while here that are also exchange students will travel a bit and then head to their respective homes, at which point I will probably have mixed emotions: on the one hand, I will be sad to see my friends go and extremely jealous that they get to go home to their friends and family; on the other hand, I think about all of the things I want to do and see in my time left here, so I'm thankful I have another 6 months to get that done.

Language-wise, this past week or so has been a bit rough for me - more of a roller coaster, really. During the course of a day, I can go from speaking perfectly (to the point where the Peruvians I'm speaking with tell me as such) to where I can't even pronounce a simple word and have to think about the conjugation for an entire minute in my head before saying anything (that's really embarrassing). Not sure what's going on, but it's getting to me (you all know what a perfectionist I am). Send encouragement. :)

Insecurities aside, I had a pretty relaxing weekend...that is, I didn't really do much homework. I studied a little bit, but the last couple of weeks have been so work-filled that I just wanted a BREAK. So, after spending some time studying for my final exams (IN 8 DAYS), I went out with some of my gringas for sushi, dessert, and movies! Banana Maki was by far my favorite - it's sushi (I think) wrapped in fried banana. See the pictures below for some tasty highlights:

Banana maki!


My date for the evening.




We also had a big father's day breakfast with my host family today. Below is a picture of the food (not the family! haha).



This week will be mostly work and little play, but I do intend to have a dinner and a movie night on Thursday before I receive an exam on Friday (it's take home, but I have to do it in about 48 hours, which is no good). When exams are done, I will (finally!) be able to take the trip to Huaraz I've been wanting to go on! Hopefully I won't have to go alone...haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment