Tuesday, July 13, 2010

It's been a while

I know, I know, I know, I haven't updated my blog in several weeks. So sue me. I've been busy! Fortunately, however, I am on Winter Break (again) and now have a lot of spare time (theoretically) to fill you in on the happenings of my life. We'll follow this order: school, friends, travel.

My semester turned out really well (I think). I'm still waiting on two more grades, but I'm hoping I can knock it out of the park (corny, I know)! I managed to pull off an A in my political science class, which was I ecsatic about because that course was basically the bane of my existence for the past 4.5 months. We shall see how the rest of my courses turned out. Here's to hoping!

Can we also talk about how quickly this semester went by? It just seems like yesterday that I had arrived in Lima and didn't know anyone...now my exams are done and I'm spending time with and saying goodbye to people who seem to have been my friends for years, even though I've only known them for a few short months. Unfortunately, many of the international students I met this semester will be heading back to their home countries within the next month or so, leaving me....well, pretty much alone (except for the two guys on my program who are thankfully staying!). I do know, however, that more people will arrive for next semester and I will be able to begin my shenanigans once again! (Note: this post is getting hard for me to write because of the English, so please forgive any oddly-phrased sentences).

In spite of the arrival of new friends, I'm still really going to miss a lot of the friends I made here. Because of this, I am including some pictures in this post of some of the important people in my life who will be leaving me. If there's no picture included of you and you've left Peru as well, it doesn't mean I won't miss you, it just means I couldn't find an attractive picture of the two of us. (Yay vanity! Also, these are the most recent friend pictures I have, so come see me if you want a photo!)


Family photo


A goodbye lunch at Chili's!!! Don't worry, it's exactly the same as it is in the US.

Surprisingly enough, I have not yet lost my tendency to make friends with girls. What can I say? I'm a ladies man. I'm really thankful for all of the friendships I've made here and I'm very happy that I'm staying for another semester because...(this leads into my point about traveling)...

I'll be traveling with some of the friends I've made here! Who would have thought that my Spanish 325 professor last summer would be correct when she said that studying abroad for a year is a wonderful experience because you get to make plans and travel and do other amazing things with friends you make from the country you're studying in? I sure didn't. Now, however, I think I owe her an email because...well, she was right. My travel itinerary is the following:

Next week: Iquitos in the Amazon - I'll probably die from the heat/humidity/insects/lack of running water/2 hours of electricity a day/etc. I'm a city boy at heart, but i know this will be a once in a lifetime experience.

The week after: Fiestas Patrias, Peru's Independence Day celebration that's a week long. Independence Day is 28 July here, so I will be traveling with my friend Lucy who is coming to visit me from Argentina (!!!). We're headed to Huaraz, a mountain town, to take in the fresh mountain air and see some beautiful landscapes. We'll also be celebrating Fiestas Patrias (described above!). After that, we'll head back to Lima so I can show Lucy a good time before she heads back to Argentina. It will be great to see a friend from home, especially when everyone from Wisconsin is heading back to the States so soon!

The next week, I'll be heading to the south of Peru, the location to be determined, with my Peruvian friend Cynthia. We'll be going to a spot with lots of pools, thermal baths and other natural wonders that will relax us after a stressful semester!!

Finally, upon returning to Lima, I will be heading with some other Peruvian friends to Santiago, Chile for about a week (right before classes resume!). I'm really excited to be going, but I'm even more excited that I found such a cheap plane ticket! If the airlines here keep their prices low like that, I'll probably start hopping more around the continent like I had originally planned!

So, as you all can see, I have a long and hopefully exciting break planned. I will have lots of pictures to share and lots of wonderful stories, so stay posted! I will leave you now with some pictures from El Parque de las leyendas (the Park of Legends), a cool zoo-type park near my university that contains three areas: the Rainforest, the Mountains, and the Coast...that is, the three regions of Peru. I saw lots of interesting animals and it motivated me even more to travel! I miss you all! Besitos.


This is Timoteo, Peru's version of Barney. I think he looks like he may have snorted a line or something, but that's probably why he never made it to the US. I also took a picture with Barney, but then he sold me a sucker and ruined my childhood, so we're not posting said picture.


Ain't he cute? Sea lion.


Of course, no trip to Peru is complete without seeing llamas!!!


Finally,with Aleece, who has basically been my other half for the last 3 or so months. In the Parque de las leyendas.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment